Friday, September 21, 2012

Imprimatura

40-minute value study
Second post! That makes this blog official ;)

I was going to take portrait painting from Chris Thornock this semester, but in the end I had ZERO time for it, so I had to drop the class. I did manage to get a fairly nice imprimatura out of it before I left, though.  It was my first time picking up oil paints since April, and my first head study since way before that, so it was kind of fun to get into that groove again, even just for a day.

My teacher showed us this awesome painting ground I'll have to try sometime where he mixes shellac with old painting pigments from the bottom of his turps can. It ends up with a warm grayish color and a lovely texture from being brushed on. I also learned that you can put gesso on watercolor paper and paint oils over that, which for some reason never occurred to me before.  I'm not sure how archival it is, but for the purposes of an illustrator, it's perfect.

I'll have to make sure to take a painting class from Thornock before I graduate, because I honestly can't believe how much I learned from him in just a week.  Why must I be so busy?? ;_;
---
Chris Thornock's website

No comments:

Post a Comment